Tuesday, December 27, 2011

White Girl Swagg

Whenever I fill out a government official form
I'm always puzzled when I get to the race section
I wasn't aware that I was in any kind of race
and if so, who am I competing against?

Oh, you mean my ethnicity.
but every time I have to check the box that says "white"
I'm tempted to fill in the lines underneath "other"
as a little girl
I never used the white crayon to draw myself
it was more of a pale pink brown tan
swirled with the dark mocha freckles strewn across my skin like haphazard constellations
and deep murky ocean blues where my veins peeked through my translucent forearms

I learned to respond by the name society gave me
"white girl"
and it became
hey white girl, go be a cheerleader
hey white girl, why don't you shop at Abercrombie and Fitch
hey white girl, aren't you in a sorority? oh... well why not?
hey white girl, you're not supposed to dance like that
hey white girl, you're not supposed to spit like that
hey white girl, you're not supposed to have that much soul

I looked up white girl swagger only to get a error code 404
the item you have requested
does not exist

...yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment