Friday, May 1, 2009

Tampons and Friendship

So I'm going to talk about something that will undoubtedly make some of you (mostly guys) uncomfortable.  However, I think it's worth it to keep reading and set aside your discomfort for the female world for the moment.
Yes, I'm going to talk about periods. And tampons.

The other day, I woke up and found out that mother nature had given me my monthly gift.  Joy.
I was walking around campus later that day and realized that I had forgotten to bring any "supplies" of any kind with me... Shit.  I wasn't able to get back to my room and I wasn't around any girls I knew to ask them for anything, so I had to improvise.
I ducked into the nearest girls' bathroom and saw the most amazing invention ever: the metallic box that hangs on most bathroom walls with slots for coins and openings for whatever you choose to purchase.  I had never taken much notice to these boxes before, except to note their presence with disdain.
Who could possibly forget to bring a tampon or a pad with them?  And why on earth would you want to buy one from these machines?  
They're made of cold, dirty, rusting metal.  They have the cheapest type of anything you could get- including cardboard tampons.  Girls, you know what I mean.  Guys- let's just say they're not the most pleasant thing in the world to deal with.

But at the moment that I needed something to save me for the next few hours, I was more than happy that I had some quarters on me and that the machine was hanging on that wall.
I had never cared that those things hung there; why should I?
Then again, I had never really needed to use one.

Which got me thinking... isn't that the same thing that we do with our friends?
We see them all the time, but we take them for granted.  
We're incredibly grateful that they're there when we need them...  But maybe we shouldn't ignore them when we don't need them.
If they're left ignored and unused, maybe they'll disappear...

Maybe friends are the tampons of our lives.
and maybe I've weirded out every one of you... but think what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment