Saturday, December 11, 2010

Short Attention Span

I listen to their words
the way they become one with the stage
the microphone as an extension of the vibrations of their vocal cords

and I wish my thoughts could fall onto the page
and arrange themselves accordingly
but I succumb to writing A.D.D.
and I write five different things at once
and combine them on the same piece of paper

and maybe why I call it a piece of writing
is that it is not whole. it is not finished.
it is part of something bigger
and it brings me peace.

It soothes the crashing waves in my mind
ideas that pull at the sandy shores of my subconscious
for me, it's always high tide.
and there's new jagged rocks of thoughts to smooth over with repetition.

Calms the voice in my head like usually only music can.
In case you haven't noticed,
I use my middle finger to push my headphones in
so fuck what you say.
I wasn't really listening anyway
and I'm pretty sure I prefer Jack Johnson's philosophy
to yours.

So you can tell me that i'm influenced
by having my thoughts be separate entities
that affect my reality.
No, they define my reality.
How I perceive it, not how it really is.

But I could only look at the world unbiased if I was blind.
Now use your fluffy letters to describe to me how a sunset looks.
How it feels to see a baby smile.
what it's like to watch a flower unfold

But I can still feel the petals
velvet soft in my palm
and maybe if I can't see that roses are red
it won't look like the bushes are bleeding.

Like I said,
writing A.D.D.
So I'll keep moving my fingers as fast as I can
trying to keep up with the rhythm of my mind
and hoping that one day
you, too will feel the beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment